Counseling and Support
Kristin Bormann - Department Chair for Counseling and Student Support Services - Rm. A103 - 630-795-8515 firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Petersen - Administrative Assistant for Counseling and Student Support Services - 630-795-8515 email@example.com
Counseling and Student Support Services Mission
The mission of the Downers Grove South High School Counseling and Student Support Services Department is to provide comprehensive support attending to the personal/social, academic, and post-secondary planning needs of every student. In partnership with families, teachers, and community stakeholders, our counselors, social workers, psychologists, and nurses, will implement a program that empowers students to become life-long learners able to succeed in our ever-changing society.
Specific Class Information
Click on your grade level for information
- DGS Senior Year
- DGS Junior Year
- DGS Sophomore Year
- DGS Freshman Year
- Incoming DGS Freshman Class of 2028
Are you a transfer student wishing to enroll in South High School? Access the registration checklist here. Contact South High School Registrar-Kirk Fisher at 630-795-8525 to begin the registration process.
Counseling and Student Support Services Vision
Statement of Philosophy
The Counseling and Student Support Services Staff at Downers Grove South High School believe:
- In honoring the uniqueness of each individual as we embrace diverse backgrounds, values, and points of view to build a strong, inclusive community and to prepare students for life in a multicultural society.
- All students/individuals have dignity and worth
- All students have the opportunity to participate in the school counseling program regardless of ethnicity, culturel, race, sexuality, gender, and special needs
- All students’ ethnicity, culture, race, sexuality, gender and special needs must be considered in planning and implementing the school counseling program
- All students will receive the resources and support necessary to achieve their academic goals.
The DGS CSSS Department is:
- Goal-oriented and evidenced based to address the developmental needs of our diverse population
- Based on specific goals and developmental student competencies for all students
- Planned and coordinated by the CSSS Team in coordination with other school, family, and community representatives
- Committed to using an Advisory Council to review and modify program goals, receive feedback, and discuss implementation of School Counseling Curriculum
- Strategic in using community resources to support students
- Evaluated by a counseling supervisor on specified goals and agreed upon student competencies
- Actively involved in monitoring student successes
The DGS CSSS Staff will:
- Act as advocates for all students specifically those students from marginalized communities including students of color, LGBTQIA, undocumented, and those with learning challenges
- Abide by the ethical guidelines provided by ASCA, SSWAA, NASP, and NASN
- Participate in professional development activities to maintain certification and provide a quality counseling and student support services program
Students, to make an appointment with a CSSS Staff member, click here
Jobs for High School Students
Looking for a job? Click here.
Important Information for Students Taking AP Exams
Students will receive information about AP Exams in their AP classes.