The mission of Mustang Way at South High School is to foster and promote a positive school climate that enhances student learning through teaching and recognizing positive behavior. For several years, we have recognized thousands of students and look forward to recognizing many more role models in the future.
To learn even more about Mustang Way, check out the links on the lefthand side bar for more information.
Throughout the year, the Mustang Way team develops a lesson based on student interest and with input from teachers from various departments at South.
Each lesson is 15 minutes long and occurs during Period 2 classes six times throughout the school year. Mustang Way student leaders come in to lead the lesson by running activities and facilitating discussions within freshman-only classes.
- September 9: Goal-setting - watch the video lesson here!
- Students learned how to create S.M.A.R.T.E.R. goals and completed their own goal planning worksheet for this school year.
- October 21: Red Ribbon Week - Drug & Alcohol Awareness - watch the video lesson here!
- Students will hear from Eddie Slowikowski on becoming the best version of themselves.
- November 18: Healthy Relationships - watch the video lesson here!
- February 3: DGS Thinks Globally, Acts Locally - watch the video!
- Students learned about the DGS philanthropy project for this school year and how to be responsible members of the community. The lesson highlighted ways to be more environmentally responsible and to consider how the impacts of our “green living” can not only make a positive impact on our planet, but also make a positive impact on the lives of others.
- March 16: Acceptance and Respect - watch the video!
- Our Unified students will share plans for this year’s upcoming Respect Week while promoting acceptance and inclusion among all students.
- April 20: Remote Learning - watch the video!
Mustang Way Award Recipients
Each week, the Mustang Way team recognizes students from teacher nominations. Teachers have the ability to recognize a student who went above and beyond that week or who acted as a positive role model for his/her peers. The teacher sends that student a Mustang Way certificate, which is then hand-delivered to students in class by staff members on Fridays along with a treat. Parents of students who get a Mustang Way Awesome certificate receive an email notification as well.
Each month, entire classes are recognized by Mustang Way. Staff at DGS have access to a google form in which they can nominate a whole class for being respectful, responsible, and engaged. On a monthly basis the classes are given a certificate and have their picture displayed on the Mustang Way slide show in the front entrance. Of the classes acknowledged each month, once is chosen to earn a larger class prize like pizza, cupcakes, or donuts.
Students can also nominate staff members. There is a mailbox located in the student cafeteria near the bookstore. Students write a handwritten message to the staff member they would like to recognize and drop the recognition card in the mailbox. These recognitions are then delivered to our staff about once every two weeks.
Contact the Mustang Way Internal Coaches here.