College Application Process
Adding Colleges to Naviance
List the colleges you are planning on applying to in Naviance
- On the “Home” page of Naviance under “My Favorites” select "Colleges I’m Applying To".
- Click on the “Plus Symbol" on the right side to add colleges you are planning on applying to.
- Under the “Submission Type” column will give you an indication if the college will accept documents electronically thru Naviance. Select the “i” icon under the “Submission Type” column for detailed information.
Please note - Not all colleges require letters of recommendation from counselors and/or teachers. Check what your college applications rrequire before you complete the DGS college procedure below.
Careful planning will help alleviate stress. Always check your school e-mail daily.
College Application Essay Writing
Letters of Recommendation
Which one do your need?
- Formal Counselor Letter of Recommendation
This is the most common form of recommendation. In order to receive a formal counselor letter of recommendation, the student must complete the Teacher Evaluation and required questions in Naviance (Click here for Steps A, B & C).
- Informal Teacher Evaluation
Counselors use evaluations from teachers to help them write the formal counselor letter of recommendation (Step A).
- Formal Teacher Letter of Recommendation
Though this is not required by all colleges and universities, if your college requires a formal teacher letter of recommendation, the student must complete the "DGS Formal Teacher Recommendation Request Form" (Step C) and the required questions in Naviance (Step B).
Naviance Instructions for Informal Teacher Evaluations
For colleges and/or scholarships that ONLY need recommendations from Counselors, it is your responsibility to check and verify if needed.
You will need to gather information "About Yourself" and from the "Teachers" in order for your counselor to write a formal counselor recommendation letter for colleges that ONLY require a letter. (Steps A, B & C)
**Allow three weeks for this process to be completed. Check the "DGS App Deadlines" on the Home Page of Naviance under "From My School".**
Common Application recommendation forms will not be submitted online by DGS until student answers the questions regarding FERPA terms.
- Select "Colleges" or under "My Favorites" on the "Home" page of Naviance.
- Select "Colleges I'm Applying To".
- Have your Common Application username & password available.
- Students applying to Common App schools should complete the Common App FERPA waiver and match their Common App accounts in "Naviance Student".
- Students will need to create list of schools to which they are applying to in Common App & Naviance Student to have their documents sent electronically.
- Some Common App's require a letter of recommendation from your school counselor (Steps A, B & C).
- Transcripts cannot be sent electronically without counselor recommendation letter in Common App.
- Do not list your counselor and/or teacher(s) as recommendors in Common App
- Midyear transcript will be sent automatically if you applied via Common App
Transcript Request for College Applications thru Naviance
- On the “Home” page select “Colleges” from the drop-down menu select “Colleges I’m Applying to”
- Mark the box by each college that requires transcript(s)
- Select the “Plus” icon
- Complete the required questions and then select “Add and Request Transcript”
Transcript Request for Scholarships or other Organizations
Transcripts cannot be submitted electronically from Naviance for any scholarships. Student will need to provide an addressed envelope with postage and all supporting documents to the College and Career Center, Room A109.
Students will need to register on-line with NCAA and not thru Naviance. Select "Official Transcript Needed" in your "Task List" in the NCAA registration process to continue to request a transcript.
A good rule of thumb is to check your on-line college status weekly. If you have any questions regarding your college status, you can always call the college admissions office directly.