Counseling and Support
Vince Walsh-Rock - Assistant Principal for Counseling and Student Support Services - Rm. A105 - 630-795-8515
Dawn Ceren - Secretary - 630-795-8515
Counseling and Student Support Services Mission
The mission of the Downers Grove South High School Counseling and Student Support Services Department is to provide comprehensive support attending to the personal/social, academic, and career preparation/college planning needs of each and every student. In partnership with parents, teachers, and community stakeholders, our counselors will implement a program that empowers students to become life-long learners able to succeed in our ever-changing society.
Specific Class Information
Click on your grade level for information
- DGS Senior Year
- DGS Junior Year
- DGS Sophomore Year
- DGS Freshman Year
- New DGS Freshman in 2019 - Class of 2023
Are you a transfer student wishing to enroll in South High School? Access the registration checklist here. Contact South High School Registrar-Kirk Fisher at 630-795-8525 to begin the registration process.
Counseling and Student Support Services Vision
Statement of Philosophy
The Counseling and Student Support Services Staff at Downers Grove South High School believe:
- All students/individuals have dignity and worth
- All students have the right to participate in the school counseling program
- All students’ ethnic, cultural, racial, sexual differences and special needs are considered in planning and implementing the school counseling program
- All students have the right to participate in the counseling program regardless of ethnic, cultural, racial, sexual differences, and special needs
- All students have the ability to achieve
- The DGS CSSS Department is:
- Goal-oriented and data driven to address the developmental needs of our diverse population
- Based on specific goals and developmental student competencies for all students
- Planned and coordinated by the CSSS Team in coordination with other school, family, and community representatives
- Utilizes Advisory Council to review and modify program goals, receive feedback, and discuss implementation of School Counseling Curriculum
- Utilizes the many combined resources of the community to deliver programs
- Uses data to drive program development and evaluation
- Evaluated by a counseling supervisor on specified goals and agreed upon student competencies
- Actively involved in monitoring student results
The DGS CSSS Staff will:
- Act as advocates for all students
- Abide by the ethical guidelines provided by ASCA
- Participate in professional development activities to maintain certification and provide a quality school counseling program
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counseling Association
- Participate in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality school counseling program
Class of 2018
Parent/Student e-mail communications - 2017-2018
Jobs for High School Students
Looking for a job? - go to this link. You can also find job lisings outside of A109.
Staff Members - For Care Team referrals, check this link.
**Parents - If you would like to refer a student to Care Team, please contact Ms. Benoist directly.
Important Information for Students Taking AP Exams
Students will receive information about AP Exams in their AP classes.
AP Test Registration
Feb. 14 - Mar 2, 2018
AP Exam Dates
May 7-18, 2018