Student Support Services
The Counseling and Student Support Services (CSSS) Department at North High School believes that all students have the right to a safe, supportive school in which we respect student’s values, beliefs and individual backgrounds. All students have strengths and potential for growth that are maximized through a developmentally-driven, comprehensive counseling program. Please read our vision and mission statements here.
Counseling & Student Support Services
Students who are struggling with social-emotional issues, have access to counseling services by counselors, psychologists, social workers, or the student assistance coordinator. Every student at DGN is assigned to an ALPHA TEAM based on their last name. Each ALPHA team includes counselors, a dean, a psychologist or social worker, a student assistance coordinator, and the nurse (see description/services below). These teams meet weekly to identify students who may need additional support, brainstorm interventions, and asses the effectiveness of the interventions. See ALPHA TEAM assignments and contact information. Our team includes:
- Counselors - academic advisement, student advocacy, address social-emotional needs, access to support services
- Psychologists - assessment, consultation, counseling; addressing social-emotional needs of students
- Social Workers - assessment, consultation, counseling; addressing social-emotional needs of students
- Student Assistance Coordinator - coordinate prevention and intervention activities to maintain a healthy student population
- Deans - maintain safe schools, monitor school climate, attendance and discipline
- Nurse - manage health office; leadership in prevention and intervention efforts for student physical health issues.
DGN Counseling Department's “Discover You” Curriculum
Formally known as group guidance, “Discover You” is the Tier 1 curriculum taught by the DGN Counselors. It is delivered in a classroom format to all grade levels throughout different times of the year. Lessons are specific to grade level with the overall purpose goal of helping students learn about themselves in order to prepare for life after high school. Using a number of different inventories, tools and online resources such as Naviance, students are able to view recommendations and suggested strength areas while they seek to develop an academic plan that supports them in achieving their goals. One of the goals of program development this year is to strengthen the vertical alignment between the different grade level presentations and promote the family/home connection around the post-secondary planning process.