About the Program
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. We are composed of an interdisciplinary site team that promotes: a structured college preparatory system, direct academic support, school-wide approach to curriculum and rigor.
The AVID Student
AVID students typically meet one or more of the following:
- Average to high test scores (40th-80th percentile)
- 2.0 to 3.5 GPA
- College potential with support
- Desire and determination
- First to attend college
- Historically underserved in 4 year colleges and universities(not exclusionary)
- Financial need
- Special circumstances
*A student who would achieve high grades in honors/advanced courses without additional support would not be a good fit for AVID.*
Mr. Bodenheimer: Class of 2019
Mrs. Remegi: Class of 2020
Ms. Mitchell: Class of 2021
Mrs. Smith: Class of 2022
AVID Program Requirements
- The AVID class is 1 elective credit. The expectation is that students will remain in the program for the duration of their high school experience, as each year builds upon the previous year in the college preparation skills sequence. Students are presented with a variety of opportunities for support and are required to apply them:
- An interdisciplinary team of faculty (site team) serves as a network for support as students transition into actively implementing positive academic behaviors, and taking on rigorous coursework. Students are required to take one advanced course per year.
- Students receive direct instruction focusing on WICOR strategies (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading) and are expected to apply these in their content area classes. See a sample AVID schedule here.
- Students are taught Cornell Notes and binder organization tools to promote self-sufficiency.
- Tutorology (two days a week) serves as an opportunity to review material, redirect confusion, and reflect on learning. Students use a TRF document to present areas of confusion in content area classes.