100 Years of District 99
A Look Back at District 99
District 99 is 100! Throughout the 2023-2024 school year, we'll be celebrating our centennial with various events. Beginning in February 2023, we have shared photos, memories and moments from the last 100 years.
100 Years of District 99 Events
- Downers Grove North Open House - Coming Soon
- Downers Grove South Open House - Coming Soon
Share your stories!
We're looking for stories about your District 99 memories and experiences, and we'd love to hear from you. Click here, then complete the form.
District 99 Timeline
- 1877 - High school students attend Lincoln School, a four-room building that also educates elementary students.
- 1893 - High school students move to Washington School, built in 1891, before moving back to Lincoln in 1913 after an addition was built.
- 1923 - Residents vote on February 17, 1923, to form District 99 as a separate
- high school district.
- 1927 - Voters approve construction of a high school.
- 1928 - Downers Grove High School (now North High) opens, a three-story building with 20 classrooms and an auditorium/gymnasium, at Main Street and Prince Street.
- 1962 - Enrollment grows to 2,700, creating the need to rent space and buy portable classrooms.
- Voters approve the purchase of a 45-acre site at 63rd Street and Dunham for a second high school.
- 1964 - South High opens its doors to 700 freshmen and sophomores with 32 classrooms, a library, gym and basement track.
- 1966 - For the first time, South High serves all grades, serving 1,700 students and anticipating up to 2,500.
- 1998 - Voters overwhelmingly approve a $49.5 million expansion and renovation plan.
- March 2018 - Voters overwhelmingly approve addressing $136.6 million in capital facility improvements.
- August 2021 - The Master Facility Plan renovations are completed and dedication celebrations are held at DGN and DGS.
- February 17, 2023 - District 99 Celebrates its 100-Year Anniversary.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.