Board of Education
We welcome and encourage open communication at District 99, because we believe that it ultimately benefits our students and our community. We invite you to attend our Board of Education workshops and business meetings; please note our protocol for addressing the Board.
- Contact all members of the Board of Education directly at BoardMembers@csd99.org
- Contact individual members of the Board; view the email addresses here.
NOTE: If you choose to contact an individual board member directly, your message may be shared with the superintendent and other board members. (See board policy regarding Communications.)
- New Meeting Protocols (updated February 28, 2022)
Roles and Responsibilities of District 99 Leaders
Our schools are governed by a 7-member Board of Education. These elected members are unpaid volunteers who serve 4-year, staggered terms. Board Members are elected to represent the voices and opinions of the community, and set the policies of the district. The Board’s job is to:
• Adopt policies on school operations and Board practices.
• Adopt and assess goals that meet the state requirements and reflect the community’s needs.
• Adopt a budget that provides resources necessary to pursue its goals.
• Select and evaluate the Superintendent, who manages the schools.
• Approve purchases, contracts, curriculum, textbooks and personnel appointments.
• Negotiate with employee groups and approve their contracts.
The Board President and Vice President are elected by the Board itself, and serve a 2-year term. The recording secretary is a district employee and acts at the direction of the Board.
No single member of the Board has legal authority. The Board may only make decisions or give directions as a 7-member Board.
The Superintendent is a professional educator hired by the Board of Education to carry out its goals, implement its policies and oversee the day-to-day operations of the district. The Superintendent’s job is to:
• Serve as Chief Executive Officer.
• Manage the daily operations of the school district.
• Implement Board decisions and policies.
• Interpret needs and make recommendations to improve the educational program.
• Recommend all personnel appointments.
Contacting the Board
If it is necessary to communicate with an individual Board Member, please see this page for a listing of members and email addresses.