The ten academic departments at South High School offer students a variety of courses from which to choose. For more information about each department, please select from the menu to the left.
Final Exams 2021
Over the past several years, we have looked carefully at how we plan, assess, and grade students in all curricular areas. Over that period of time there has been a shift away from the focus on cumulative final exams in many courses (many give unit exams or other projects). Additionally, given the past 18-20 months, we want to maximize available instructional time. As a result, we will no longer be running an alternate bell schedule for final exams the last week of each semester. Should a course team or teacher choose to give a cumulative final exam, it should be designed or broken up in such a way that it will fit into a regular schedule. In order to make it less likely that a student has an entire schedule of exams on a single day in the last week of a semester, departments may only give an exam on the days listed below:
- Tuesday/Thursday: Social Studies, Math, World Languages, CTE
- Wednesday/Friday: English, Science, Physical Ed/Health/Driver Education, Fine Arts
Self-Contained Special Services and English Learner classes will administer assessments in alignment with the subject area of the course being taught
NOTE: Starting Tuesday, November 30, the Testing Center will be open after school until 4:20 p.m. from Monday through Thursday. As a reminder, it is also open before school at 7:05 a.m., Tuesday through Friday and during periods 1, 4, 5, 6, and 8.
The Testing Center is located in E-236.
Open M-F during periods 1, 4,5,6 and 8.
Open T-F before school at 7:05 a.m.
Teacher Office Hours
Every DGS teacher has reserved 3 hours each week outside of the school day to meet with students individually. Check the syllabus on Home Access Center and/or the teacher's Google Classroom site to see when your teacher holds office hours.
In addition, teachers are available to meet with students during the following Resource Times:
- Math Department, all periods
- Writing Center, during lunch periods
- World Language Department, during lunch periods
As a complement to D99 teacher support, 400+ professionally trained tutors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via chat by logging into paper.co:
- Tutors communicate anonymously with students live via a chat (not video).
- To protect student privacy,students are not assigned a dedicated tutor and the tutor assigned will vary session to session.
- Students may receive help in almost any subject.
- Students can chat with a tutor individually or in a group.
- Tutors coach students on how to approach problems, rather than providing the answers.
- Students can submit essays and have feedback in 24 hours or less.
- District 99 teachers have access to all questions and conversations held between their students and Paper tutors.
Tutors are full-time employees of Paper and have been subject to a background check. Many are former teachers, graduate students in education and/or subject matter experts, and skilled in encouraging students in an online format. More information for parents.