Positively North: Positive Recognition
The Positively North Program recognizes DGN students for serving as role models by demonstrating positive actions and choices on a daily basis. For several years, we have recognized thousands of students and look forward to recognizing many more role models in the future.
2020-21 Lessons and Schedule
Throughout the year, the Positively North team will provide a lesson based on skills related to being respectful, responsible, and engaged. Each lesson will be shared with the students and families via email. Staff will encourage students to take the time to view the videos and participate in any follow-up activities available to the students.
We’re thrilled to partner with Jostens Renaissance Education and The Harbor to bring you powerful video messages featuring motivational speaker and non-profit executive director Mike Smith. Mike, and special guests, showcase tangible lessons to immediately apply to your school and life experiences.
October 26, 2020 - Red Ribbon Week: watch the video lesson!
The 2020 Red Ribbon theme was "Stay Connected" which is especially important during this time of remote learning and living. We know that students who make healthy connections are less likely to turn to alcohol and other drugs to deal with stress, uncomfortable emotions, and boredom. Students were encouraged to watch the video and complete an EdPuzzle in order to enter a raffle prize giveaway.
- December 4, 2020 - How to Ask
Watch the video, sent to your school email address, and discuss the reflection questions below with a peer and/or a parent or guardian.
- Don’t rob someone of the opportunity to do the thing they love. Educators love to help! Who can you reach out to in order to meet your short-term or long-term goals?
- Offer something before you ask for something. What can you offer of value to help meet your goal? Ask!
- Set a plan and follow through. Your time and someone else’s time is valuable. How can you ensure that you follow through with your commitment?
- February 5, 2021 - How to Be Responsible
- April 23, 2021 - How to Show Kindness and Be Respectful
Postively Awesome Award Recipients
The Positively North team recognizes students from teacher nominations. Teachers have the ability to recognize a student who went above and beyond and who acted as a positive role model for his/her peers. The teacher sends that student a Positively North certificate, which is then emailed to the students within a very short time of the recognition being made. Parents, teachers, coaches, and counselors of students who get a Positively North Awesome certificate may receive a copy of that email notification as well.