Transition Timeline

14-18 Years Old

  • Legal documentation is required: State ID (there is a free option for individuals with disabilities), hard copy of social security card and birth certificate.

18 Years Old

  • Apply for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and Medicaid.

You can do this by going to the Social Security Office, 7440 Providence Rd. (right behind
JCPenny’s in Woodridge, 630-825- 2831) to fill out an application for SSI benefits. Visit for more information on SSI. You can also apply online
and complete a large portion of your application by visiting

Once you receive a letter confirming SSI, take the written documentation to the Department of
Human Services, 146 Roosevelt Rd., Villa Park, 630-530- 1120. Your young adult will be
automatically eligible for Medicaid. You will need to apply for the Medicaid Waiver. This will be
needed to fund services after high school, including community living arrangements, vocational
support and other programs. More information can be found at

  • Complete the Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services (PUNS) by contacting PACT, Inc.

PUNS: Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services
Contact PACT at 630-960- 9700
750 Warrenville Rd., Suite 300
Lisle, IL 60532

Services in Illinois for people with disabilities after graduation are not pretty! Even if you do not
plan on using services for residential, day programming, or vocational assistance in the near
future you need to complete the PUNS to get on the list for the future. Many services have
waiting lists consisting of 10-20 years! This needs to be updated every year. PUNS MUST be
done to be eligible for residential, sheltered workshop or day training in Illinois.

  • Update transition goals in IEP. Discuss services needed to best transition from high school to Transition program.
  • Males register for selective service.
  • Establish legal guardianship only if deemed necessary.

This should be determined based on the best interest of your child. Consultation with a lawyer
specializing in disabilities and guardianship is recommended. Please see the Legal Resources
page for lawyers in Illinois that specialize in this field.

  • Explore options for future planning or estate planning.

Please note that a young adult can’t have more than $2000 in resources (bank accounts, bonds,
funds of any kind that can be traced by social security number). A Special Needs Trust can
protect the young adult’s resources so that it will not prohibit them from receiving government
benefits. Please see the Legal Resources page for lawyers in Illinois that specialize in this field.

  • Transportation: Call to request a PACE application.

Individuals with a disability may be eligible for door-to- door bus service if their disability
prevents them from being able to take a fixed route bus or “L” train. We would really like for
students to apply before they exit so we can help them learn the system and help them practice
the steps in obtaining rides. Call 312-663- 4357 to request an application. Once the application is
completed, we would be happy to take any students for their interview in Naperville. Please
contact us with any questions or help in filling out the application.

19-21 Years Old

  • Apply for adult services. Take the time to visit all providers in the area to find the best match for your child. Seek clear information on how un-mandated adult services differ from mandated school services. Also, be informed about current waiting lists. Please see the Adult Services Resource Page for more information; you can also speak to your childs’ case manager for help.
  • Ensure all necessary support services (e.g. respite, recreational, vocational) are participating in transition planning and ready to provide services immediately following graduation. Be in close contact with the providers. For recreational providers, please see Recreational Program Resources page on this site. For vocational services after Transition, you will work with a counselor from the Department of Human Services, Division of Rehabilitation Services. A DRS counselor will attend IEP meetings to answer questions, if applicable.

Division of Rehabilitation Services
Downers Grove Office
2901 Finley Road, Suite 109
Downers Grove, IL 60515
(630) 495-0500

  • Ensure that transition planning covers all aspects of life.
  • Ensure that you have a plan for medical/health coverage beyond graduation.