Final Exams and Monday 5/21 Late Start Day
We have all gotten into the habit of school starting at 9:20 a.m. on Mondays. As we did during first semester, we are going to offer an opportunity for our students to finish the semester strong and to further prepare for their final exams.
On Monday, May 21, 2018, we will be using the late-start time differently. Classes will still begin at 9:20 am. Instead of being in meetings or workshops, teachers will be available to assist students with questions that they may have while preparing for final exams beginning at 7:40 am. Teachers will be assigned specific classrooms and/or subject-area locations so that students who wish to get assistance in the morning can do so. To help facilitate this, the bus company will make two runs that morning - the first at the times corresponding to a regular start day and the second run at times that correspond with the pick-ups on late start days. Students may choose when they arrive to school. However, students choosing to arrive to school early are committing to using the time to prepare for final examinations and must adhere to the following:
- Students must be receiving assistance from a teacher in a classroom or studying quietly in the library. Students will not be allowed to sit in the hallways and socialize.
- Students may go to more than one area for assistance as needed, transitioning between locations quickly and quietly.
- The library will be open at 7:00 a.m. and is dedicated as a quiet study area.
- The cafeteria will be closed until 8:15 a.m. with breakfast service beginning at 8:30 a.m.
- As always, once a student has arrived on campus, they must stay on campus.
- Early-bird classes will meet as scheduled.
We are excited to provide this opportunity for our students, but we do want to stress that if a student does not attend with a focus on academic assistance, they should plan to arrive only for the 9:20 a.m. start of first period. Teachers will mostly be in the same locations as first semester, but for quick reference, we will also post master lists on the TV screens throughout the school.
FINAL EXAMINATION SCHEDULE:
Wednesday, May 23
- 8:00 - 9:30 - 1st period exam
- 9:45 - 11:15 - 2nd period exam
- 11:30-1:00 - 4th period exam
Thursday, May 24
- 8:00 - 9:30 - 7th period exam
- 9:45 - 11:15 - 8th period exam
- 11:30-1:00 - 6th period exam
Friday, May 25
- 8:00 - 9:30 - 3rd period exam
- 9:45 - 11:15 - 5th period exam
- 11:30 - 1:00 - Student make-up exams
Busses depart South High after the last scheduled final exam period each day (there is no bus service after the make-up exam time on Friday). If they have a free period (lunch, resource, study hall), students can study in the cafeteria or the library. If the free period is at the end of the day, students are free to go home. As always, once students leave campus, they cannot return. While full lunch service is not available during final exam days, food service is available as follows:
- Breakfast and Snack service - 7:15 a.m. - 7:50 a.m. all three days
- Light lunch items 10:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday only
Reminders for Semester Exams
- We do not have an open campus during semester exams. Students are not able to leave and return if they do not have a final during the middle period of the day.
- With the exception of seniors taking finals for periods 3, 5, 6, 7 or 8, students must take finals during the assigned periods.
- If you do not have an exam during the 1st exam period of the day, and you do not need bus transportation, you may arrive during the passing period before your first exam.
- If you do not have an exam during the last period of the day, and you do not need bus transportation, you should leave the building and the school grounds for the day. You may not leave the building and then return to school to take a bus home.
- If you have an open period and you are in the building, please report to one of the following locations:
- Cafeteria – social space
- Library – quiet study area (if no classes are scheduled)
- Math Resource Center – to get assistance and work quietly
- World Language Resource Center – to get assistance and work quietly 4th, 5th and 6th only