Dear North High students and families,
February was a busy and fun month, and we’re looking forward to many events in March.
Please click here to watch my video for March. You can also see a summary of highlights below.
As always, please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 630-795-8411 or at email@example.com. Students are welcome to email me, talk to me in the hallway, or stop by the main office at any time.
Ms. Janice Schwarze
DGN Video for March - Video Summary
- Thanks to all who are participating in the Black History Month events. Meetings included an “Allyship” presentation, as well as a panel of Black professionals.
- The Random Acts of Kindness and Gives Back Month was a huge success. IWILL raised enough funds to donate 115 blankets to a local shelter. The National Honor Society created goodie bags as a thank you for teachers. We are partnering with Feed6 to provide meals to those in need; so far we’ve raised enough money for 300 pantry packs, which comes out to 12,600 meals for those in need in our local community. You can still donate money on our webstore through the end of February.
- Three of our students earned National Merit Finalist recognition. Congratulations to Justin Berghorst, Carissa Blumka and Madeline Naisbitt.
- Three of our students earned Scholastic Arts Writing Awards. Congratulations to Madeline Riske (who won a Gold Key Award), Madeleine McGovern and Madison Smith.
- Kudos to Grace McTigue, Maddie Naisbitt and Emmitt Thulin for qualifying for the state speech competition.
- Congratulations to the DGN Chess Team; they finished 2nd in the WSC and sent 16 competitors to the state competition.
- We’re busy planning senior events. Seniors should respond to the survey from Mr. Mirandola about prom and graduation.
- Parents’ Club is meeting virtually Wednesday, March 10 at 7 p.m.
- In an effort to help you develop better relationships with your students during these challenging times, District 99 has partnered with Alder Grove Counseling to offer a special webinar this week. “Just Talk to Me,” a webinar scheduled for Wednesday, March 3 from 7 to 8 p.m., will provide strategies for better conversations. All District 99 parents/guardians are welcome to attend. Check the email that you received to submit questions in advance.
- Parents may also be interested to know that our friends at grit2 are hosting a webinar on Tuesday, March 9 with 360 Youth Services in Naperville on the topic of “Talking About LGBTQ+ Topics with Your Teen.”
- The College and Career Center is hosting our annual College Exploration Night on Wednesday, March 10 at 7 p.m. Watch your email for details.
- Saliva Screenings are now optional for everyone except those who are in Behind the Wheel Driver’s Education. We do encourage everyone to participate as this screening will help us all stay safe.
- With the new CDC guidance, we are working on a plan to expand in-person opportunities when metrics allow. We’ll share additional information before spring break.
- Remember that there will be no school for students this Friday, February 26; it is a county-wide teacher institute day. There is no school on Monday, March 22 as it is a Remote Learning Planning Day for the staff. There will also be no school during spring break, March 29 through April 5. Classes resume on Tuesday, April 6.