Happy New Year to our South High Students and Families! It has been great having students back in the building this week.
If you have a few minutes, I hope you’ll watch my short January video message here.
Video message highlights:
- Just before the holiday break, we learned that seven South High student musicians earned All State Honors from the Illinois Music Educators Association. Congratulations to Zoe Boyd, Liudas Davies, Nathan Frewen, Diana Kwak, Philip Okunev, Derek Reynolds, and Olivia Roti. Details can be found on the Fine Arts blog.
- As teachers return to school, they are finalizing first semester grades. First semester report cards will be available in the Home Access Center no later than January 11.
- Students received information about the course selection process for the 2021-22 school year prior to the holiday break. If you haven’t already done so, be sure to have conversations with your students as to the courses they wish to take next year. Student selections are due soon for current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors (for which they are due January 8). We make a great deal of scheduling and hiring decisions based on the choices that are made, so it will be difficult to make changes later in the year and in the summer. Students will receive follow-up communication about potential appointments with their counselors. To see the planning guide, click here.
- Post high school planning is also part of the high school years. To assist families with developing strategies for managing college costs without excessive debt, the District 99 Counseling & Student Support Services Departments are hosting “Conquering College Costs” on January 14. Details can be found here.
- DGS Drama recently released the production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and this Friday, January 8 at 7 p.m., will debut The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). Please take a few minutes to enjoy the many talents of the South High students.
- The first steps towards becoming a Mustang will be taken this month by our incoming freshmen - the Class of 2025. The Virtual Orientation Night for the Class of 2025 will occur on Wednesday, January 27th. The Academic Planning Guide is a great resource. Parents and Guardians of incoming freshmen received a link to select course electives for the freshman year. If you have not completed this step, please do so soon. Incoming freshmen families should be on the lookout for a detailed email about Orientation Night, including the appropriate links.
As always, please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 630-795-8511 or at email@example.com; students are welcome to email me, talk to me in the hallway, or stop by the main office.
Have a great month of January!