Greetings South High Students and Families!
It is hard to believe that it is already September. Together we navigated a unique start to the school year. I appreciate the flexibility and adaptability of our staff and students. They have been making the best of a challenging situation and are making sure that the focus is on teaching and learning.
If you have a few minutes, I hope you’ll watch my September video message here. NOTE: This month’s video is slightly longer as I have included a walking tour of many of the spaces being addressed in the Master Facility Plan.
Video message highlights:
- Some changes were made to the students’ Zoom accounts requiring them to register using their csd99.org login. This allows us to secure our classrooms to a greater level and have documentation of all students entering and leaving the sessions. Again, these steps were made to make our online classrooms safer for all. If a student has trouble logging in to a Zoom session, they should email their teacher to let them know. They should then contact IT by emailing email@example.com or calling 630-795-8556. The library staff has also been dealing with many of these issues this week and have created resources for the students to use in the event that others experience the same things. They have been updating this page as they learn more. We appreciate everyone’s patience as we implemented this change.
- At the end of the academic day, students are staying busy participating in extracurricular opportunities - in socially distanced ways. In addition to the six fall sports and marching band, South High drama students are busy working on two different plays. The casts and crews of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare and of A Midsummer Night’s Dream have been rehearsing at mostly outdoor locations. As they perform the scenes, they film them and the product will be shared in video formats for enjoyment by all. Additionally, our newest thespians, members of the Class of 2024, will soon be working on a virtual Freshmen play, Zoomies! Be on the lookout for more information and how you can enjoy the productions from DGS Drama.
- You all should have received an email highlighting two sessions on completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Those sessions will be held next week and we are asking that you register if you plan to attend one of these virtual sessions. Seniors, pay special attention as the completion of this form is now a graduation requirement in the state of Illinois.
- It is strange to mention Homecoming, an event that welcomes back alumni to the school, when our current students are not here. However, the Student Activities Department is reimagining what some of the homecoming festivities can look like so we can connect our community in new and creative ways. Students should watch for information about our DGS 2020 Imagine celebration! Let’s imagine what we can all accomplish together for Homecoming and throughout the year!
- Finally, while the building has been virtually empty, the contractors have proceeded with work on the Master Facility Plan. The classroom addition is complete, the bleachers and squad rooms are getting final touches, and the progress in the courtyard and the auditorium is proceeding quickly. Also, if you haven’t noticed, we will soon have a student drop off drive on the east end of campus (along Dunham). Looking forward to seeing students walking up that new sidewalk and seeing the Memorial Peace Garden in its new home. Consider viewing the video for visual representations.
As always, parents, guardians, and students are welcome to call or email me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 630-795-8511 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great month of September, and stay well.