Video Message from Mr. Ed Schwartz, Principal
Springtime wishes to our South High Students and Families! We are looking forward to welcoming you back to school on Tuesday, April 6, 2021 as we follow the Early Release Block Schedule.
If you have a few minutes, I hope you’ll watch my short April video message here or read the highlights, below.
As always, please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 630-795-8511 or at firstname.lastname@example.org; students are welcome to email me, talk to me in the hallway, or stop by the main office.
Have a great month of April!
Video message highlights:
- The biggest happening in April is our ability to welcome more students to in-person learning. Beginning April 6, 2021, we will follow the Early Release Block Schedule. Specific information about returning to school after spring break was sent out last week. If you haven’t already done so, please review the information contained in that message.
- It has been great seeing kids participating in athletics and activities again. The “winter” sports seasons have wrapped up and the “spring” season is well underway. Soon our “summer” sports will begin. As they typically do, our students have experienced a great deal of success and we are excited to celebrate them.
- Last week the South High School Group Interpretation Team qualified for the state finals and finished in 5th place in the state of Illinois. Members of the team include Delaney Turner, Catherine Hewawissa, Samantha Bachara, Samantha Wiggins, Sydney Richardson, Kayte Salgado, Gwen Royale, Ryan Rosignal, Jo Stewart, and Faith Nelson. Their coach is Mr. Chris Blum. Special kudos to Gwen, Ryan, Sydney, Faith, and Samantha for earning All State Honors.
- Congratulations to Robert Grogan and Khayriddin Muradov on placing first in their respective categories at the Illinois State Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) competition. Robert and Khayriddin qualified for the national competition. South High had other students finish in the top 10 in the state competition - held virtually for the first time. Read more here. Congratulations to all!
- Congratulations to South High senior Ashley DeAnda! Ashley’s photograph titled, “no direction” won her a Silver Medal after adjudication in the National Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.
- Congratulations to Special Services teacher Kristee Toth. Ms. Toth just completed the requirements to earn the status of National Board Certified Teacher and is now designated a Master Teacher on the Illinois Professional Educator License. Congratulations Ms. Toth!
- Juniors will take the SAT on Tuesday, April 13. All 9, 10 and 12th graders will spend that day working on assignments from their teachers and getting caught up on any past or missing assignments. Relatedly, the schedule for that week will be adjusted by having the students follow their normal Tuesday schedule on Monday.
- Our students recently completed the filming for the spring musical, High School Musical. The video is being produced and we expect to be able to share it with everyone in a few weeks. Be on the lookout for that.
- Our friends at grit2 are hosting a webinar for parents, “Staying Safe in Teen Relationships.” This event is being held on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.