Dear North High students and families,
I hope you have a wonderful spring break. I am looking forward to April 6, when we begin our new schedule and welcome almost 80% of our students back in person!
We shared this safety video with all students today, which outlines all of the expectations for students when they return to in-person learning. Also, any student who has not yet been in the building since the start of the semester is welcome to come to the school on Monday, April 5 between noon and 3 p.m. to walk their schedule. Students may come alone or bring one family member. There is no need to sign up ahead of time; students and family members should enter at the Main Street entrance and be sure to social distance from others and wear a mask.
We have many things to celebrate and many events to look forward to. Please click here to watch my video for April. You also can see a summary of highlights below.
As always, please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 630-795-8411 or at email@example.com. Students are welcome to email me, talk to me in the hallway, or stop by the main office at any time.
Ms. Janice Schwarze
DGN Video for April - Video Summary
- Congratulations to DGN Visual Artists Mary Lerch and Eliot Michaels, who have been honored with National Medals by the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, placing their artwork in the Top 1% of all adjudicated works nationally. Senior Mary Lerch earned a National Gold Medal for her piece "Willow By The Pond." Senior Eliot Michael's Art Portfolio received a National Silver Medal, with six pieces that were awarded Silver Medals with Distinction.
- Congratulations to Senior Sam Bull, who was named Illinois Journalist of the Year. Read more here.
- Congratulations to Senior Emmitt Thulin, who was named to the Illinois High School Association’s 2020-21 All-State Academic Team. He is one of 26 students from across the state to be placed on the team, based on his academic record, participation in IHSA sponsored activities and/or athletics and outstanding leadership.
- Congratulations to the success of our student athletes:
- Co-Ed Cheerleading team that competed at state and placed 18th
- Girls Co-op Gymnastics Gold Conference Champions
- Boys Basketball Silver Champions
- Girls Basketball Silver Conference Co-Champions
- Athenas for a successful season - just missing state by one spot
- Brad Szydlowski 4th at WSC Conference Dive meet
- Badminton Team state qualifiers Jessica Spahn (Singles) and Megan Heinz and Gabrielle Chen (Doubles) - competing this weekend!
- Numerous individuals earning all-conference honors across our sports
- Congratulations to the 11 students who placed in the top ten at DECA state! Read more here.
- Live performances of the All School Musical “Freaky Friday” will run April 22-24; details about tickets will be available soon.
- The Spring Art Show will run April 26-30.
- We’re busy planning senior events, including prom and graduation, and will share details soon.
- Parents’ Club is meeting virtually Wednesday, April 14 at 7 p.m.
- Please note that the SAT will be given on April 13, which results in an adjusted schedule for the week of April 12. Please click here for details.
- DGN's Senior Class Board collected items and placed them in a time capsule in our new Learning Commons! In 2071, the time capsule will be opened by future North High School students. We included a letter from me; here’s an excerpt!
- "I know that when people look at the history books, they will note that the Class of 2021 experienced a great deal of challenges due to a global pandemic. Fortunately, they did not let these challenges define them. Instead, the Class of 2021 found new ways to learn, to compete, to perform, to celebrate, and to generate school spirit. As a result, they experienced much success in academics, activities and athletics. Of all their accomplishments, however, I am most proud of how they came together to help others. Hopefully the items in this time capsule will help you see the resilience, creativity, and generosity of the Class of 2021."
- I started a podcast last fall and invite you to listen. In the latest episode, I spoke with junior and student leader Quentin Mills about "Allyship." He shares in his podcast that "an ally is a person who stands in solidarity and shows support for minorities and marginalized groups...and their fight for equality, justice and to dismantle oppression." Listen at http://bit.ly/3vfrhT8. I also interviewed senior Grace McTigue recently about ways students can take care of their mental health during these challenging times. Listen at http://bit.ly/3rqpc44
- We are shifting to an Early Release Block Schedule starting April 6, which runs 8 a.m. to 1:20 p.m. Tuesday - Friday. It’s vital that everyone follows safety guidelines; students viewed this safety video today.
- Saliva Screenings are now optional, but we do encourage everyone to participate as this screening will help us all stay safe.
- Students who currently have a parking tag will receive information about additional spots where they can park near campus besides the Main St. parking lot. Unfortunately, we are not able to issue any new parking passes.
- There will be no school during spring break, March 29 through April 5. Classes resume on Tuesday, April 6.