Greetings North High Students and Families!
I hope you are doing well.
If you have a few minutes, I hope you’ll watch my October video message here.
You also may read a summary below of all of the things planned for October.
As always, please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at 630-795-8411 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students are welcome to email me, talk to me in the hallway, or stop by the main office at any time.
I am looking forward to welcoming students back into the building soon!
Video message highlights:
- Congratulations to this year’s three National Merit Semifinalists (Justin Berghorst, Carissa Blumka and Madeline Naisbitt) and 13 National Merit Commended students. Information about the commended students will be added soon. We are proud of the academic success of these students.
- DGN’s Homecoming week is October 6. Students should check their email for details about the spirit dress up days, ice cream social and scavenger hunt as well as a drive-in movie on Friday and virtual assembly on Saturday.
- Our fall play this year is Snoopy; students will perform seven shows outside, all of which have sold out!
- We are excited to welcome students to campus. We will announce plans for 9th grade students as soon as we have them confirmed, and the Modified Hybrid Schedule begins on October 19. There will be no lunch served at school; if students have their own transportation, they may leave early or arrive late during their study hall and/or lunch period. Please submit the early release/late arrival form sent to you on Tuesday if this is your preference.
- Before we begin the Modified Hybrid Schedule, the week of October 12 is an unusual one:
- No school for students on Monday, October 12
- Fully Remote Tuesday Schedule on Tuesday, October 13
- SAT Test for 12th grade students on Wednesday, October 14 (independent learning day for grades 9, 10, and 11)
- Fully Remote Wednesday Schedule on Thursday
- No school for students on Friday, October 16 (Parent-teacher conferences)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held on the evening of Thursday, October 15 and the morning of Friday, October 16. We will send an email soon about how to register for your teachers and times.
- Students and staff were invited on September 21 to participate in a 21 Day Equity Challenge. You can listen to my most recent podcast about this challenge at https://anchor.fm/downersgrovenorth, where I interview Paula Fernandez and Mike Melie, the teachers who oversee this effort. Also, I hope you will join me in this challenge and will use the #DGN21DayEquityChallenge on social media!
- At the virtual Parents’ Club meeting on Wednesday, October 14 at 7 p.m., Ms. Allison Bava will talk about how the DGN library serves students, and Mr. Mark Mirandola will speak about how student activities have been reimagined this year. I will share reminders and updates about the first week of the hybrid schedule. Remember that you are welcome to attend a meeting at any point during the school year!