The District 99 Board of Education held its business meeting on February 22, 2016. Highlights from the meeting include:
The Board unanimously approved the hiring of two new key building administrators for 2016-17:
- Current Associate Principal Janice Schwarze will become the next principal of North High. Please go to this link for additional information.
- Karen Taylor will become an associate principal of students and staff at South High next year. She is currently a dean at Maine East High School..
The Board also unanimously approved:
- Student fees for 2016-17. Registration/textbook fees will increase $20 from last year to $310; however, the $40 activity fee for students and $5 publication fee have been eliminated. The 1:1 digital learning fee will remain level at $90.
- 2016 Summer School recommendations. Please see the 2016 Summer School web page here and registration guide. Summer school will be held at South High and run Monday, June 13 – Thursday, July 21.
- Resolution to issue $3.5 million in Life Safety Bonds, which will be used primarily to finance the boiler project at North High. Please go to this link for details about the Resolution. The Board also awarded the bids for the project; go to this link for details about the awarded bids.
Master Facility Plan
Administration reviewed the Master Facility Plan and results of the Board’s prioritization process. The schools explained in greater detail various aspects of the plan. North High explained the conditions of the lower-level instructional spaces, as well as ideas for the Prince Street circle area and remaining outdoor facility needs, including bleachers, press box and squad rooms. South High described similar needs for its outdoor facilities, as well as spaces needed for athletics and physical education classes. Administration will convene and offer a revised list, as well as explore ways to fully involve the community with the next phases of the plan. Please go to this link to see the presentation.
Food Service Provider
District 99’s food service provider, Quest, has informed District 99 that it will not be renewing its contract next year. The district has started the process to rebid to find a new food provider, and anticipate recommending one to the Board at the May 16, 2016 meeting. Please go to this link for details about the process.
Textbooks on Display
Assistant Superintendent for Student Learning Gina Ziccardi recommends adopting three new textbooks for next year, including a Spanish II, German I and AP Statistics book. Please go to this link for details about textbooks on display. The Board will vote to approve the texts in April.