DGS COVID-19 Response Triage Process
Common COVID-19 symptoms are the following:
· Fever over 100.4 degrees F
· Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
· Sore throat
· Abdominal Pain
· Congestion/runny nose
· New loss of taste or smell
· Muscle or body aches
If any COVID-19 like symptoms assessed, nurse will immediately contact Parent/Guardian and isolate student. For specific policy, refer to 20-21 Student/Parent Handbook Addendum Section 1-#6, a-c.
Return to school criteria are the following:
1. A negative COVID-19 test or healthcare provider’s note indicating negative results and symptoms resolved/improved. IF a student gets a positive result, notify the school nurse immediately.
2. Medical provider has determined the student has a different illness other than COVID-19 and cleared to return (doctor’s note must be presented stating the alternative diagnosis and the student must remain home until symptoms have improved/resolved per the return-to-school criteria for that diagnosed condition).
3. At least 10 days have passed from the symptoms noticed AND
4. Student has been fever free for at least 24 hours without fever reducing medications AND
5. Student’s symptoms are improving
Parents/Guardians must contact the school nurse’s office before returning to school, and sign a letter stating conditions were met.