North High students took the optional 2021 National Spanish Exam this spring and earned recognition for their excellent performance. North High students earned a total of three silver medals, six bronze medals and several earned Honorable Mention.
- Silver Medals: Anika Canamedi and Taran Mellacheruvu
- Bronze Medals: Mikayla Cichy, Isabella Samsa, Megan Thompson
- Honorable Mention: Michael Gorman, Katelyn Gross, Kyle Kucera, Elisenda Lee-Palou, Ashley Novak, Kathryn Rutkowski, Audrey Wray and Sabrina Zapasnikas
- Silver Medal: Helen Larkin
- Bronze Medals: Kirsten Anderson, Kaitlin Jeschke and Anabel Levan
- Honorable Mentions: Fenris Hadi, Daina Jaskulis, Stavroula Kollintzas, Anna Kus, Veronica Lasota, Nicole Moravec, Helen Parker, Amanda Quealy, Greta Serniute, Prakruti Torlikonda, Julia Toth and Tyler Werner
Students from North High School have a history of high achievement on these exams and were taught by Spanish teachers Paula Fernandez and Jennifer Mariman.
“Attaining a medal or honorable mention for any student on the National Spanish Examinations is very prestigious,” said Kevin Cessna-Buscemi, National Director of the Exams. “The exams are the largest of their kind in the United States with over 60,000 students participating in 2021.”
The National Spanish Examinations are administered each year in grades 6 through 12, and are sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese. To learn more, visit their website.