In its 80 years, Community High School District 99 has grown from one small building to two large modern comprehensive high schools, and from five original graduates to more than 1,400 graduates each year.
The District was established in 1923 by residents who wanted to create a separate high school district. North High School opened its doors in 1928. To accommodate growth in the community, South High School was completed in 1964. Since its early days, both schools have undergone major additions and renovations to accommodate growth and changes in education. Currently, the District is completing its Outdoor Master Site Plan. The three goals of the comprehensive plan include: 1) to improve the safety of our outdoor environment, 2) to enhance educational programming, and 3) to maximize the use of our limited space. All students in District 99 will benefit from the MSP improvements planned. From students in physical education classes--to marching band members and athletes--all students will enjoy a safer and more useable outdoor space in the future with the implementation of the MSP.
District 99 develops goals and detailed action plans in its continuous quest to improve on its core mission: to provide a caring and challenging environment where all students develop as lifelong learners to become contributing, responsible members of a changing world. In the fall of 2010, the District solicited input from all of its major stakeholders, including community members, staff, parents and students. Based on this direction, in 2011, District 99 developed a comprehensive strategic plan to ensure that its students are well prepared to compete in an increasingly global economy.