South High Families,
We would like to welcome all Downers Grove South families to our All School Open House on Thursday, August 29. The purpose of the program is to give you an opportunity to visit South High, meet your student’s teachers and learn about the curriculum. Please bring a copy or take a picture on your phone of your student’s schedule. You can either ask your student for his/her schedule or go to Home Access Center. Below is information about the evening’s activities.
Opening Sessions: Beginning at 6:15 p.m.
- Freshmen – DGS Experience: Academics, Athletics, Activities (Large Gym)
- Sophomores – Career Exploration (Cafetorium)
- Juniors – College and Post High School Planning (Auditorium)
- Seniors – Decision Making Process for Post High School Planning (Cafeteria)
Open House Class Schedule: Beginning at 7:05 p.m. (Early bird classes will begin at 6:50 p.m.)
Early Bird 6:50 – 7:00 p.m.
Period 1 7:05 – 7:20 p.m.
Period 2 7:26 – 7:36 p.m.
Period 3 7:42 – 7:52 p.m.
Period 4 7:58 – 8:08 p.m.*
Period 5 8:14 – 8:24 p.m.*
Period 6 8:30 – 8:40 p.m.*
Period 7 8:46 – 8:56 p.m.
Period 8 9:02 – 9:12 p.m.
*During lunch/resource you may visit the library to learn about resources, go to the cafeteria to view an informational video on attendance and behavior, tour the building to view student work and accolades, or meet with a counselor or dean in their offices. Also, the Parents' Advisory Board will be selling spirit wear for cash or check outside of the student cafeteria during the event. Parking is always crowded on Open House night, so please plan your arrival accordingly.
Changes to Traffic Flow
As the entrances to our building changed this year, we have tried new traffic patterns before and after school. We have now implemented a few adjustments:
- A three-way stop has been created at the entrance to the West Events area.
- Use of the far west drive into the parking lot is restricted to staff and students who are parking in that lot.
- We have eliminated parking spaces as you enter the West Events area to eliminate blind spots at the pedestrian crossing.
- Any parents dropping students off prior to 7:45 a.m. must use the West Events area. If parents arrive to drop students off after 7:45 a.m., they may use the West Events area or the bus lot. Between 7:45 and 8 a.m. is the only time that visiting cars should use the bus lot.
It appears that there are more cars bringing students to and from school this year. I encourage students whose house is within the bus transportation zone to walk to school or ride a bicycle. Those beyond that limit are encouraged to ride the provided bus transportation. Bus routes can be found here. If we can minimize the number of vehicles that need to be on campus, our vehicle and pedestrian traffic will flow more smoothly and safely. Thank you all for your patience as we have worked through these changes and looked for the safest ways to get students in and out of school.
We look forward to meeting you on Thursday and working with you on behalf of your students!
South High School