South High student musicians participated in the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) State Solo and Ensemble Contest on March 3, 2018, at Joliet Central Catholic High School.
Students prepare solos and ensembles and play for an expert adjudicator, receiving both a score and a rating, and, formative feedback for improvement. Additionally, students performing solos must play scales from memory, demonstrating technical mastery on their instruments outside of their prepared solo work.
In total, more than 50 students participated in over 35 different events. 30 students performed as soloists, and 26 students formed 7 different ensembles during the course of the day. Students from both the bands and the orchestras from South High School participated in this event.
"Regardless of rating or score, we are proud of every student for choosing to pursue musical growth through this process." said Fine Arts Department Chairman Glenn Williams. "The individual growth that occurs through studying and performing chamber music is substantial."
Two events during the course of the day earned a perfect score, 40/40, from the judge in their performance room: Allie Brandt, clarinet; Genevieve DuFresne, alto saxophone.
Listed below are the South High students that earned a Division I rating, described on the judges sheet as "a superior performance - outstanding in nearly every detail."
- Carson Aldrich, trombone solo
- Andre Beikircher, violin solo
- Allie Brandt, clarinet solo - PERFECT SCORE
- Allie Brandt, Danny King, Emma Ansah, Missy Tepe, clarinet ensemble
- Jake Burrows, Kelly Jankowski , trumpet duet
- Jake Burrows, Matt Burrows, Peter Burrows, Paul Kozak, Adam Rosignal, brass quintet
- Matt Burrows, trombone solo
- Matt Burrows, Carson Aldrich, trombone duet
- George DuFresne, flute solo
- Genevieve DuFresne, alto saxophone solo - PERFECT SCORE
- Michaela Dukes, violin solo
- Sam Guagliardo, euphonium solo
- Megan Holley, violin solo
- O'Shay Jackson, bassoon solo
- Harry Kamitani, violin solo
- Bella Kelly, violin solo
- Danny King, clarinet solo
- Kyle Kotula, trombone solo
- Therese Malinowki, Bella Kelly, string duet
- Mary Mulcahey, flute solo
- Lauren Mule, violin solo
- Lauren Mule, Megan Holley, violin duet
- Maddy Pteanc, violin solo
- Michaela Rakos, flute solo
- Isaac Rutledge, flute solo
- Millia Saei, violin solo
- Emily Schwab, bassoon solo
- Saahil Sorakayla, bassoon solo
- Nathan Wiechec, trombone solo
Listed below are the South High students that earned a Division II rating, described on the judges sheet as "An excellent performance - minor defects."
- Michael Beube, violin solo
- Joe Daniele, trombone solo
- Rachel Joseph, violin solo
- Sana Nasib, viola solo
- Hailey Rodden, oboe solo
- Domani Sharkey, Ellen Place, Meghan Carroll, string trio
- Katherine Wilkinson, violin solo