To: DGS Parents and Students
From: Principal Ed Schwartz
We have all gotten into the habit of school starting at 9:20 am on Mondays. For the last Monday of the semester, we are going to offer an opportunity for our students to finish the semester strong and to further prepare for their final exams.
On Monday, December 18, 2017, we will be using the late-start time differently. Classes will still begin at 9:20 am. Instead of being in meetings or workshops, teachers will be available to assist students with questions that they may have while preparing for final exams beginning at 7:40 am. Teachers will be assigned specific classrooms and/or subject-area locations so that students who wish to get assistance in the morning can do so. To help facilitate this, the bus company will make two runs that morning - the first at the times corresponding to a regular start day and the second run at times that correspond with the pick-ups on late start days. Students may choose when they arrive to school. However, students choosing to arrive to school early are committing to using the time to prepare for final examinations and must adhere to the following:
- Students must be receiving assistance from a teacher in a classroom or studying quietly in the library. Students will not be allowed to sit in the hallways and socialize.
- Students may go to more than one area for assistance as needed, transitioning between locations quickly and quietly.
- The library will be open at 7:00 am and is dedicated as a quiet study area.
- The cafeteria will be closed until 8:15 am with breakfast service beginning at 8:30 am.
- As always, once a student has arrived on campus, they must stay on campus.
- Early-bird classes will meet as scheduled.
We are excited to provide this opportunity for our students, but we do want to stress that if a student does not attend with a focus on academic assistance, they should plan to arrive only for the 9:20 am start of first period. Teachers will communicate with their students as to their specific location before school on the December 18th late-start day. We will also post master lists on the TV screens throughout the school in the event students forget.
FINAL EXAMINATION SCHEDULE:
Wednesday, December 20
8:00 - 9:30 1st period exam
9:45 - 11:15 2nd period exam
11:30-1:00 4th period exam
Thursday, December 21
8:00 - 9:30 7th period exam
9:45 - 11:15 8th period exam
11:30-1:00 6th period exam
Friday, December 22
8:00 - 9:30 3rd period exam
9:45 - 11:15 5th period exam
11:30-1:00 Student make-up exams
Busses depart South High after the last scheduled final exam period each day (there is no bus service after the make-up exam time on Friday). If they have a free period (lunch, resource, study hall), students can study in the cafeteria or the library. If the free period is at the end of the day, students are free to go home. As always, once students leave campus, they cannot return. While full lunch service is not available during final exam days, food service is available as follows:
- Breakfast and Snack service - 7:15am - 7:50am all three days.
- Light lunch items 10:00am - 11:45am Wednesday and Thursday only.