Career and Technical Education (CTE) Department hosted an alumni college and career day on Tuesday, November 21, at DGN. More than 30 graduates that have taken CTE courses at either DGS or DGN returned to speak to current students.
“We’re proud to host our graduates of the CTE program. Current students benefit from learning about alumni college/career experiences, whether they are a freshman in college or they are an entry-level or experienced employee at a corporation,” CTE teacher, Stacey Polen said.
Jack Thompson, freshman at University of Iowa studying Managerial Accounting, is grateful for his CTE experience.
“Being able to take CTE courses in high school helped me determine my field of study early, and gave me a leg up on my college career path,” Thompson said.
Courses in the CTE Department are offered in the areas of Business, Computer Technology, Cooperative Career Education, Family and Consumer Science and Engineering & Design. CTE teaches technology, supports the application of academic subjects and partners with the business community. Rigorous academic content tied to technical subject matter ensures that these students will be ready for college and work.
Vanessa Schuller’s CTE courses gave her foundational knowledge of working with businesses in her career as a freelance graphic designer.
“CTE courses prepare you for the real world by learning and building valuable life skills,” Schuller said.
Thank you to District 99 Alumni who shared their time with North students - here is a complete list of alumni and their school and area of study or their chosen field and company:
- Sami Ramahi, Accountant
- Wes Dahle, Accounting University of Illinois
- Nick Torres, Accounting/Finance Indiana University
- Josh Smith, Accounting/Finance Indiana University
- Jason Zyck, Accounting/Finance Indiana University
- Kirk Larson, Accounting/Finance Iowa
- Dylan Tysiak, Business Finance University of Missouri-Columbia
- Jared McGriff-Culver, Business Owner
- Sebastian Podgorni, Business University of Illinois
- Ryan Rivera, College Business
- Dez Flores, CPA Accounting PWc
- Vanessa Schuller, Design and Branding / Also studied Social Studies HS education in college
- Alyssa Manzo, Elementary Ed at ISU
- Taylor Wold, Fashion
- Abbey Testin, FCS Education (college student at ISU currently)
- Diego Rodriguez, Finance (UIC Senior)
- Kyle Molidor, Attorney
- Nick Brown, Marketing/Sales
- Timmy Herlihy, Mechanical Engineer
- Zach Koenezney, Restaurant Management (Egg Harbor)
- Mike Testolin, Sales
- Lexi May, Special Education at EIU
- Michelle Herlihy, Supply Chain Management ConAgra
- DonCorleone Mahone, Underwriter
- Tiffany Leung, Advertising University of Illinois
- Alessandra Garcia, Engineering at University of Illinois
- Jake Graham, Engineering at University of Illinois
- Leslie Garcia, Engineering at Bradley University
- Mark Briel, Coromant - Engineering Project Specialist
- Jack Thompson, Accounting Major Iowa State
- Anthony Rosario, Development Intern Young Americans for Liberty
- Jack Marcoski, University of Illinois Industrial Engineer Major Business Minor