District 99 strives to provide facilities that are safe, cost-effective and conducive to student learning.
The combined square footage of our facilities is over one million square feet. To keep both buildings running efficiently, every year we develop a comprehensive list of maintenance and repairs to address the most pressing needs.
Just as it is essential to maintain what we have, it is also our responsibility to plan for the students of tomorrow. The additions made over the years to North High (which opened in 1928) and South High (which opened in 1964) happened at a time when enrollment was growing. Today, enrollment is steady or even declining; however, technology has impacted every classroom and facet of how we teach students, and we need to adapt to that fact.
As part of the district's strategic plan, we embarked on an extensive planning project in October 2013 to study how we need to adapt our facilities to best support our students and staff in the future. As our curriculum evolves and technology continues to influence teaching and learning, we are ensuring that our facilities meet the expectations of the future.
>> Click here to see North High's high-level site plan and concept changes
>> Click here to see South High's high-level site plan and concept changes
Timeline OF CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT
We developed our vision for the future with Wight and Company, architectural experts in school facilities.
- October 2013 - Advisory group of administrators and architects is formed. Academic departments hold "visioning" sessions, allowing them to freely brainstorm possibilities for our learning spaces.
- January 2014 - Wight completes a Building Condition Assessment of both North High and South High, as well as conducts in-depth interviews of staff members to collect more information. Several "themes" of opportunities and needs emerge.
- Presentation to Board of Education - May 19, 2014
- December 2014 - District 99 invites the community to provide input at feedback sessions; over 60 community members participate. See North High 2014 Community Feedback and South High 2014 Community Feedback
- Presentation to Board of Education - April 13, 2015
- Presentation to Board of Education - October 19, 2015
- Presentation to Board of Education - February 22, 2016
- Presentation to Board of Education - May 2, 2016
- Presentation to the Board of Education - October 3, 2016
- Presentation to the Board of Education - December 5, 2016 - District 99 Board of Education hears a presentation from consultants recommended to lead public engagement strategy.
It is our responsibility to study and consider how our physical environment and learning spaces function today, and how we can evolve them to support educational programs in the future.